Categories: RE

by Peter

Share

Categories: RE

by Peter

Share

https://www.mendeley.com/catalogue/03c3701c-22cb-3eb4-8f6d-9497fcec273c/?articleTrace=AAABsFJCobMp8vpwB7cIukAYkD_gc4s61T5MlmuLyuIs76TG2YbeRrxiMgwZhWDeeelqzh4FtEshrzH

Abstract

Transition to a cost effective and fossil carbon-free energy system is imminent for South Africa, so is the mitigation of issues associated with the ‘water-energy nexus’ and their consequent impacts on the climate. The country's key fossil carbon mitigation option lies in the energy sector, especially in shifting away from the coal-dependent power system. Pathways towards a fully decarbonised and least cost electricity system are investigated for South Africa. The energy transition is simulated for five scenarios, assessing the impact of various factors such as sector coupling, with and without greenhouse gas (GHG) emission costs. South Africa's energy transition is simulated using an hourly resolved model until 2050. This modelling approach synthesises and reflects in-depth insights of how the demand from the power sector can be met. The optimisation for each 5-year time period is carried out based on assumed costs and technological status until 2050. The modelling outcomes reveal that solar PV and wind energy, supplying about 71% and 28% of the demand respectively in the Best Policy Scenario for 2050, can overcome coal dependency of the power sector. The levelised cost of electricity increases just slightly from 49.2 €/MWh in 2015 to 50.8 €/MWh in the Best Policy Scenario, whereas it increases significantly to 104.9 €/MWh in the Current Policy Scenario by 2050. Further, without considering GHG emissions costs, the cost of electricity slightly increases from 44.1 €/MWh in 2015 to 47.1 €/MWh in the Best Policy Scenario and increases up to 62.8 €/MWh in the Current Policy Scenario by 2050. The cost of electricity is 25% lower in the Best Policy Scenario than in the Current Policy Scenario without factoring in GHG emissions costs and further declined to 50% with GHG emissions costs. The Best Policy Scenario without GHG emissions costs led to 96% renewables and the remaining 4% is supplied by coal and gas turbines, indicating pure market economics. The results indicate that a 100% renewable energy system is the least-cost, least-water intensive, least-GHG-emitting and most job-rich option for the South African energy system in the mid-term future. No new coal and nuclear power plants are installed in the least-cost pathway, and existing fossil fuel capacities are phased out based on their technical lifetime.

Figures

STAY IN THE LOOP

Subscribe to our free newsletter.

Business Report 1 July 2012. Optimal Energy chief executive Kobus Meiring is a disappointed man. The company is the developer of South Africa’s electric car but it officially closed on Friday with the loss of about 60 jobs. This follows its failure to get further funding from the government and the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC)... http://www.iol.co.za/business/business-news/why-sa-s-electric-car-is-not-going-anywhere-1.1331580#.T_E37xcjGq8

Related Posts

  • By Dan MurtaughIn some ways solar is having too much success in China.Installing panels has become so popular that Chinese officials drafted By Dan Murtaugh Solar outshines wind to lead China’s clean-energy transition In some ways solar is having too much success in China. Installing panels has become so popular that Chinese officials drafted regulations […]

  • By Todd WoodyElectrify Your LifeWith the first-ever US climate bill approaching passage in Congress, it’s time to reconsider the calculus fo By Todd Woody Electrify Your Life With the first-ever US climate bill approaching passage in Congress, it’s time to reconsider the calculus for when American households think about going solar. If the bill is passed into law, that transition will instantly […]

  • By Ethan van Diemen 26 Jul 2022 original article here President Cyril Ramaphosa on Monday night announced what he called an ‘energy action plan’ to tackle South Africa’s power crisis. This is what the plan entails. On Monday night, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced a set of actions to respond to South Africa’s yearslong energy crisis. “The […]

  • Ramaphosa doubles next renewables round, scraps 100 MW cap on distributed plant and moots feed-in tariff as he unveils load-shedding crisis response President Cyril Ramaphosa 25TH JULY 2022 BY: TERENCE CREAMER CREAMER MEDIA EDITOR ARTICLE ENQUIRY      SAVE THIS ARTICLE      EMAIL THIS ARTICLE FONT SIZE: –+ President Cyril Ramaphosa unveiled several far-reaching interventions – including a doubling in the allocation for the next renewables […]