Opeds are so named because in print media, these articles were placed opposite the Editorial page.
They are used to provide interesting and sometimes controversial commentary and analysis on topical issues.
Here are some guidelines:
- Track the news and jump at opportunities
- Timing is essential
- Limit the article to 750 words – shorter is even better
- Make a single point – well
- Put your main point on top
- Tell readers why they should care
- Offer specific recommendations
- Showing is better than discussing
- Use short sentences and paragraphs
Have a look in the EGSA Resources section to see some examples.